💡 Life Tip - Commit to Change (Issue #24)
Every little step matters
I recently asked my followers on social media:
What is the most important positive change you want to make in your life this year?
One person replied:
“Get out of my personal, and entrepreneurial hole. Prove to myself I'm not worthless.”
Here was my response:
1. You're never "worthless." Don't ever talk about yourself that way!
2. Clearly define what "out of the hole" means for you. What does success look like? Quantify it to set a goal. Visualize it.
3. Pick a date for achieving that goal.
4. Map milestones between now and then. Month by month and week by week.
5. What work is necessary to achieve those milestones? What are the actions you need to take? What are the tasks you need to perform?
6. Pick a daily habit to start tomorrow that will contribute to that work. Any progress — no matter how small — is better than no progress!
7. Find someone who will hold you accountable to making progress.
You can do this!
Now, I know it isn’t that simple. But, in some ways, it is. The framework for change is simple.
Sticking with it is what’s hard.
Change is hard. It’s always hard!
Change is scary. We don’t like the unknown. We don’t like giving up the familiar and comfortable, even when it’s hurting us in the long run.
But, hoping your life will change is never enough to make it happen. Never!
It’s a bit of work, but you need to sit down and make a plan if you want to turn a dream into reality. No one ever promised it would be easy.
To improve your odds of success, you need a few things to set up your new life behaviors:
Break those goals down into reasonable tasks and achievable milestones. Don’t try to boil the ocean all at once.
Create reasonable daily habits that will chip away at those tasks.
Create systems that will make it easier to execute those habits.
Create an environment that makes it easier to do the right things and harder to do the wrong things.
Find people who will be honest, call you on your BS, and hold you accountable. We all need that!
We’re still early in the year. There’s plenty of time left to make the changes in your life that you want. Reach out to me if you want help with planning and accountability. Ok?
Hi, I’m Larry Cornett, a Personal Coach who can work with you to optimize your career, life, or business. My mission is to help you take complete control of your life so you can become a more “Invincible You.” I currently live in Northern California near Lake Tahoe with my wife and our Great Dane. We’re totally snowed in right now!
Another great newsletter, Larry. But I have always taken the view that change is challenging and exciting. How else could I have lived in different places and had different (and totally unplanned) occupational experiences.